[postgis-users] installing postgis in Ubuntu 5.10(Breezy)

Mikael Schröder miscx at spray.se
Wed Mar 8 04:32:16 PST 2006

Blair,
Yes everything finally installed fine!
But were is the configuration file and the services autostart file?
I ran:
/usr/lib/postgresql/8.1/bin/initdb
--pgdata=/var/lib/postgresql/8.1/data
/usr/lib/postgresql/8.1/bin/postmaster -D /var/lib/postgresql/8.1/data

But got the message that the server was already started, and thus the
port bussy.
I killed the Postgres services och restarted it with:
/usr/lib/postgresql/8.1/bin/postmaster -D /var/lib/postgresql/8.1/data
-i
And after that It started up allright and I could connect to the
database through pgadmin3 at localhost.
After I restarted the computer the postgres-service was once more
without the -i option.
and I found that /etc/postgresql/8.1/main contained another (or rather
the first database location). I changed that postgresql.conf to
listen_addresses = 'localhost' and restarted the computer. But once more
the server started without the -i option or without access via
localhost.
???? were do I make the changes so that I can connect to my database
with pgadmin3?
Regards Mikael