[postgis-users] 'clustering' of points

Amit Kulkarni amitkulz at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 13 07:04:06 PST 2006

Josh,

You might want to look at Crimestat. Ned Levine has created a nice
little program which is *not* crime specific. It may suffice for your
needs, if you dump the stuff into X, Y points. I had emailed Ned a year
back about integrating some scripting functionality and he emailed me
that some people had got it working using VB/VBScript. Unfortunately,
Crimestat is Windows only.

Bill,
My only comment: I sometimes despair at the hacks we have to create in
order to fulfill our time/space constraints. I wish there was a better
way to attack speed/memory problems involved with int/float/double
arithmetic. Hmm, a good topic for some research..

Thanks
-----------------------------------

This is somewhat related to a thread about "density mapping" that took
place on the mapserver list.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.mapserver.user/16860

My last response
(http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.mapserver.user/17924) shows
how
I accomplished a similar task, and how I would add it into Mapserver.

One thing to note, however, is that this is for visualization, not
statistics.  If you're looking for "real" kernel density, a tool like R

or GRASS might be better.

Bill