[postgis-users] [OT] Multipolygon WKT format

Jeremy Nix Jeremy.Nix at sfsltd.com
Fri Mar 31 07:23:50 PST 2006

This is a question more about the opengis standards, then postgis, but
I'm assuming someone here has a quick/simple answer for this.  I am
trying to figure out what the correct syntax is for formulating a
multipolygon in WKT format.  The majority of my confusion is coming in
the form of the parenthesis.  For instance, what is the difference (if
any) between the 2 representations below?

//geometries have been simplified
MULTIPOLYGON(((0 1, 1, 2, 1 1, 0 1),(3 4, 4 5, 4 4, 3 4)))
    AND
MULTIPOLYGON(((0 1, 1, 2, 1 1, 0 1)),((3 4, 4 5, 4 4, 3 4)))

Jeremy Nix
Senior Application Developer
Southwest Financial Services, Ltd.
http://www.sfsltd.com <http://www.sfsltd.com/>