[UNCLASSIFIED]RE: [postgis-users] Use of PostGIS for Renewable En ergy resourceanalysis, mapping, etc

Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Mon May 1 16:52:42 PDT 2006

Hi Dana,

We have a bioenergy resources atlas that currently looks
at agricultural residues. We're thinking about extending it
to other renewable energy sources and putting it in PostGIS.
http://adl.brs.gov.au/mapserv/biomass/index.phtml
If you're interested, I'll dig up the project report for the
old site as it included a Decision Support System.

It'll be intersting to see where ESRI take ArcGIS. Have a look
at their new ArcGIS Server product, it makes the entire ArcGIS
object set available as Java or .net. It's not a huge stretch
to add Python bindings to that. I'm hoping that this'll prompt
the development of an ecosystem of analystical GIS objects.

I spoke to some of ESRI's developers, and they are expecting to
extend the Python in ArcGIS, but it'll take a while. I'd love to
be able to do cartography templates in it.

We've done some analysis in PostGIS, but ArcGIS (especially the
model building environment) is much more complete and shiny.

Virtual Linux hosting (Xen instances) are pretty easy to come by
and provide an ultimate level of control over the hosted environemnt.

Hope your project works out well. :o)

Cheers,

Antti