[postgis-users] decode geometry

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue May 9 13:18:19 PDT 2006

Geoserver has had some success in using encode(asbinary
(the_geom),'base64') as a means of encoding geometries in a 7-bit
clean wrapper for WKB.  Spares one having to futze around with binary
cursors.  Then you use a base64 decode on your client to get the byte
array and then write a wkb decoder in your client.  Fun fun.

Note that this is hardly a "solution" to your problem, since even if
you reduce your overhead by 50%, Murphy's Law says there will still
be the occasional geometry large enough to break your application.