[postgis-users] Divide 1 Polygon into 2 polygons with a linestring

Martin Davis mbdavis at VividSolutions.com
Fri May 12 11:23:52 PDT 2006

Currently there's no code in JTS which will do this, and not really any sequence of operations which will perform this easily.  The obvious thing to try is to extend the linestring far enough to be able to "bend it around" into a polygon, which you can then use to cut the other polygon (via intersection and difference).  But this is awkward and not a general solution.

There is a general solution to this, but it requires a more fully developed set of topological classes than are currently in JTS.

This is probably the most-requested enhancement for JTS.  Hopefully we will get time & funding sometime soon to implement this.

Martin Davis, Senior Technical Architect
Vivid Solutions Inc.      www.vividsolutions.com
Suite #1A-2328 Government Street Victoria, B.C. V8T 5G5
Phone: (250) 385 6040 - Local 308 Fax: (250) 385 6046

	-----Original Message-----
	From: postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net [mailto:postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net] On Behalf Of Baris YILMAZ
	Sent: May 12, 2006 11:00 AM
	To: PostGIS Users Discussion
	Subject: [postgis-users] Divide 1 Polygon into 2 polygons with a linestring

	Hi,

	I have a problem. I have a polygon and a Linestring. The linestring enters at one point the polygon and leaves at another. In other words, it goes through the polygon. I need to divide the polygon into two pieces, one right to the linestring and one left.

	Is there any method doing this? Can anyone help me? I searched also in JTS package but I couldn't find anything.

	I 'll appreciate your help.

	Best Regards
	Baris

  _____

	Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1¢/min. <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman7/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39666/*http://messenger.yahoo.com>