[postgis-users] srid / area

Christo Du Preez christo at mecola.com
Tue May 16 02:20:42 PDT 2006

Hi All,

I've always got along quite fine importing my data and setting the srid
to -1. Now that I need to use the area function I have run the
select UpdateGeometrySRID('public', 'cdsmriverarea', 'the_geom', 4148);

I'm very inexperienced when it comes to the spacial referencing systems.

The data I'm using is Hartebeespoort94/wgs84 in decimal degrees. I used
srid 4148 an others but I keep getting the same results, the units of
measurement should be in meters, but the result is far from it.

eg.

select area(the_geom) AS ar
from cdsmriverareaview
order by ar

6.70955000170448e-08

the expected result is roughly 670 sq meters.