[postgis-users] Length, distance, area using SRID 6326

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Sat May 20 20:57:36 PDT 2006

There is no help to give, you have all the pieces in front of you.
If your reference system is in spherical coordinates and you do not
want to do a transform() to a planar system, use the _sphere or
_spheroid functions.  _sphere is faster than _spheroid, but less
accurate -- you may find it is well within the tolerances you need
however.  Spheroid calculations are very expensive, nothing to be
done about that (difference between a converging set of differential
equations and a simple trig formula).

P.