[postgis-users] PostGIS X DB2 Spatial

Gregory S. Williamson gsw at globexplorer.com
Wed May 24 16:09:04 PDT 2006

Ezequias --

It is possible that there's no one on this list who has used DB2; I have seen very few posts about DB2 porting or comparisons.

I have used the Informix spatial blade, which is the OG of the IBM spatial blades; also have some experience with the Geodetic blade.

We migrated from Informix to postgres, mostly because of cost, about a year and a half ago, so my experience is a little out of date.

In general the spatial blade looks and acts very much like postgis; the SRID is returned in a different position in the text variants of data, and they hae a slightlyu different use of commas and spaces to split part sof geometries, but otherwise very similar ... I was able to write a perl script to convert from spatial blade geometry to postgis geometry.

Because informix puts the blade into the actual db engine, it seemed to be slightly easier to crash the whole instance in Informix (DB2 may be different, of course). This could include very slow running queries which cause issues internally with system resources; postgis stuff is all outside of the db engine proper and so it seems to be a bit harder to crash the whole instance.

The functions are quite similar although again I am out of date on this -- centroid, intersection, etc. are all present. If you look at the PDF at <http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/spatial/library.html> it should answer some of your questions. The explanations of differences between contains and within, for example, are a bit clearer than the postgis descriptions -- lots of illustrations, which helps people like me (more DBA than GIS).

Can't say anything about websphere, though, having never used it.

HTH,

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC