[postgis-users] Client/Web based GIS using PostGIS

Bruce Rindahl rindahl at lrcwe.com
Thu May 25 07:57:05 PDT 2006

Shaun,
I have also developed WMS/SVG applications similar to what you are talking
about.  I think this is a very powerful way to go.  The really nice thing
about PostGIS is it can be set up to be very fast and minimal bandwidth with
some careful planning.
If you are interested, first go to http://www.carto.net
There are lots of examples and tutorials there.
There is also a web site I developed for a municipal client based on the
work done at carto.net that you can view at
http://www.udfcd.org/svg/svg_mapping.htm
All these examples work on IE+ASV, Firefox, Opera 9 (beta), Batik and Safari
(I think - don't have a Mac).  If the application were scaled back a bit it
might start working on a Mobile using Opera.

I am also in the process of developing some digitizing via script/SVG.  Not
ready yet but I can keep you posted.
Bruce Rindahl