[postgis-users] Correct dump and restore

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Fri Nov 10 11:00:34 PST 2006

--- Stefan Schwarzer <stefan.schwarzer at grid.unep.ch> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I've seen the subject coming up already a couple of times. But it
> didn't really help me and I can't imagine that there isn't a simple
> strategy/method for that:
>
> I need to make a copy of a database which resides on one computer and
> install that copy on another.
>
> Computer 1 (Linux) has (PostgreSQL) 8.1.0
> Computer 2 (Mac) has (PostgreSQL) 8.1.2

There may be an issue with end-of-line characters? I believe one uses LF & the
other uses CR (unlike DOS/Windows which uses both).

> Don't know about the version of PostGIS.

That may be more important, esp if one uses LWGEOM & the other uses the older
structures & code.

> I tried various pg_dump and pg_restore parameters. But the restore
> never worked correctly. I tried it as well with a simple psql but
> there too I was faced with problems...

Can you dump a simple table without geometries and restore that? Let us know
any errors this gives, as this will help identify whether it is a postgis or
postgres problem.

If this works, try a simple table with geometries, and let us know the errors.

Cheers,

  Brent Wood