[postgis-users] HELP! Ms-Access shape data to the_geom of postgresql

Marc Angelo computrain at paradise.net.nz
Mon Nov 13 00:35:05 PST 2006

I can't give you a full answer but I can tell you why (I think) the "data
conversion" is failing (somebody please correct me if I am wrong). I think
you will find that the co-ordinate data in Access is a "double" or "single"
data type as Access does not have a "geometry" data type like in Postgres.
When you use the PostGres ODBC connector you are just transferring the data
from one database to another so Postgres is just placing the data in the
fields in the nearest data type that is equivalant to the Acces data type.

If the data needs only to be transferred once (not on a regular basis) from
Access you could import the data by writing a small routine in C++.Net or
VB.Net. I wrote a small app a while ago that imported geometry data into
Postgres.
I connected to PostGres using NPGSQL data connector. All my data was in csv
fomat inside a text file. The routine opened the csv file and then imported
each record into Postgres by using an SQL insert statement combined with the
GeometryFromText() function which converts text coordinates into a geometry
data type in Postgres.
Having said that I am not competent with SQL so I suspect that you could
write an SQL statement within Postgres to import and convert data that
resides in a csv file.....this would mean exporting your data from Access
into a .txt or csv file.

Hope this gives you at least some help.

Cheers
Marc