[postgis-users] load more than one shape files to one table?

Robert Coup robert.coup at onetrackmind.co.nz
Mon Nov 13 15:56:42 PST 2006

Eric Randall wrote:
> Unless I misunderstand (which happens all the time).
> Use shp2pgsql to load the 150 routes to tables (with script).
> Create a new table into which to insert the route tables
> with a field(s) to keep the original route/segment identity.
Another (potentially easy idea) might be to:

    * create the pg table with a bonus field with a default value of 1
    * load 1st shapefile using shp2pgsql
    * update table so bonus field has default of 2 (psql..)
    * load 2nd shapefile using shp2pgsql
    * ...

then combine geometries based on your bonus field.

Rob :)