[postgis-users] Problem with the overlap operator && (?)

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue Nov 14 21:07:41 PST 2006

Greg is right, the issue is that Overlaps() tests geometry overlap
while && tests bounding box overlap, and the two are only the same if
both objects are boxes. :)

But "why test bounding box overlaps???" you ask.  Because that is an
indexable relationship, while the strict test is not.  So you use the
two in combination.  The && operator returns a superset of the
eventual result, which you winnow using an exact function.

The core trick of fast spatial database operations is to use the
bounding box relation to return a superset and then filter than
superset with an exact test.

P.