[postgis-users] dynamic segmentation

P Kishor punkish at eidesis.org
Thu Nov 16 16:56:53 PST 2006

On 11/16/06, Stephen Woodbridge <woodbri at swoodbridge.com> wrote:
> P Kishor wrote:
> > Someone asked me recently about open source dynamic segmentation
> > solutions. I thought, let's ask the PostGIS community. Is this
> > possible with PostGIS? If not, does anyone know of other open source
> > solutions for ds?
> >

> Can you describe what dynamic segmentation is?
> What is the algorithm?
> I guess I can google for it ...

I don't know the algorithm, but among the many definitions, dynamic
segmentation allows analysis and mapping of linear features based on
their positions along a route. Another definition says that it is "the
process of computing the locations of events on linear features at run
time based on event tables for which distance measures are available."
Used in linear reference systems (LRS), typically for roads and
transportation networks analysis.

Nelson Inst. for Env. Studies, UW-Madison http://www.nelson.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation https://edu.osgeo.org/