[postgis-users] Newbie question #2 -- visualizing large datasets?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue Oct 10 14:37:27 PDT 2006

What means "large" and for what purpose the "visualizing"?

If you draw 1M features onto your screen, they will either overlap
hugely or each be about the size of a single pixel... that is, you
will be suffering catastrophic information loss, and the
visualization will only be showing a small percentage of the actual
information encoded.

You'll find that uDig can render arbitrarily large data sets, but the
note above pertains... beyond a certain size, your screen just can't
show any more information.