[postgis-users] kmeans/natural breaks returns R_HOME error when called

Jeff Cavner jcavner at edac.unm.edu
Thu Oct 12 13:09:52 PDT 2006

In a post for March 2006 David Bitner had a nifty SQL function using plr for
natural breaks.  I have successfully installed R and plr in postgress and
created the function in my database but when called with select
kmeans(array[1,1,1,1,4,3,5,6,45,3,5,7,8,6,4,3,2,1,32,6,7,5,6,7,8],4);  to
test it , it reports  ERROR:  environment variable R_HOME not defined

I have noticed that when I run R from the command line I get the line
ignoring the R_HOME variable.  When installing plr, I had problems with the
make file finding R.h.  R.h lives in /usr/local/lib/R/include.  But when I
looked at the plr makefile I noticed it was concatenating an extra /include
onto the path.  So I set R_HOME using export R_HOME=/usr/local/lib/R (one
directory up from the actual location of R.h)  since running my sql call to
the kmeans function I have changed R_HOME back to the actual location of
R.h.  No path setting for R_HOME seems to allow me to call the kmeans
function.  Each returns the same R_HOME error. Does any body know where
R_HOME is actually supposed to be set,e.g. to  the R.h, the .so, the /bin?
And if anyone has had this problem why R_HOME works for the plr install but
not the actual execution of the function kmeans?

Jeff Cavner

Earth Data Analysis Center

University of New Mexico