[postgis-users] extracting zipcode bundaries from tiger2005sebasedata

Dan Putler putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Wed Oct 18 10:10:19 PDT 2006

Hi All,

There are a couple of interesting points on this matter from the
Census Bureau's FAQ. The relevant FAQs are questions 17 and 18. The
link is:

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/faq-index.html

I am part of a small group working on creating an open Canadian
Forward Sortation Area (FSA) polygon layer. An FSA is Canada Post's
equivalent of a US five digit zip code. In urban areas we are
attempting to use the boundary road segments for an FSA from the
recently released Statistics Canada 2006 Road Network File (the
Canadian counterpart to the TIGER/Line road layer). However, these
produce boundaries with gaps. So far we haven't found a solution that
doesn't involve hand digitalizing some of the boundary segments, and
my reading of the TIGER documentation suggests that the same problem
will occur when TIGER/Line data is used to create zip code polygons.
One important difference between Canadian FSAs and US zip codes is
that FSAs are assigned based on spatial polygons, while this is not
the case for US zip codes. The problem with Canadian FSAs is that
things other than roads are used as boundaries in a number of instances.

Dan