[postgis-users] Re: A PostGIS-Raster data proposal

Carl Anderson carl.anderson at vadose.org
Wed Oct 25 20:04:00 PDT 2006

Now that Paul is up on a soap box I feel compelled to throw my 2 cents in.

I agree with Paul, I have found that is it easier to tune and set up
caching for WMS and WC services than it is to try and tune or add
caching to database based image sources.  In  mixed client software
environments even more so.
If you believe that the speed of GOOGLE Earth comes from massive image
caching you might agree.

The compelling reason to put cell / grid /raster data into PostGIS has
to be bound to one or more use profiles.  Each which can be evaluated
and understood.

Elevation data comes to mind.  A DEM is a regular gridded set of
elevation samples.  Sometimes it is convenient to programmatically
convert 2 dimensional LineStrings into 3 dimensional (Z) LineStrings.

Looking at this goal, being able to resample a single elvation from an
elevation fabric (source).
Converting the DEM into a TIN and then representing each polygon in the
TIN as a 3D (Z) dimensional plane in PostGIS and creating some sort of
resampling function might work better and faster than supporting the
original gridded elevation set.  The TIN method actually does run faster
in my own tests.

I am looking for a compelling use case to house Raster in a RDBMS.
Client centric reasons are not so strong to me.  Reasons compelled by an
internal RDBMS issue is stronger.

C.