[postgis-users] What's the Purpose of the Geometry_Columns Table?

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Wed Sep 6 02:48:36 PDT 2006

Hi, Strk,

strk at refractions.net wrote:

>> Agreement with Markus.
>>
>> CREATE TABLE thetable ( thegeom GEOMETRY(4326,2,'POLYGON') );
>
> Also:
>
> CREATE TABLE thetable ( thegeom ST_POLYGON2D(4326) )
>
> (this won't need *multi_valued* typmod)

That's right.

Due to the small number of geometry and dimension combinations, we could
possibly implement them using domains over GEOMETRY, but that's not
feasible for the SRIDs.

I don't know yet how DOMAINs affect the type names transmitted in the
client protocol, so it's possible that the jdbc / j2ee / python geotypes
have to be updated, but that might be the case for multi-valued
typemods, too. And, finally, shielding the applications via abstraction
over such changes is the whole point of those projects.

Happy Committing,
Markus