[postgis-users] Exporting to ESRI's ArcGIS

Bruce Rindahl rindahl at lrcwe.com
Thu Sep 14 07:49:48 PDT 2006

Marco

The other question is can the Data Interoperability Extension write to a
PostGIS database?  I also tried the extension and it did not work with
PostGIS.  This may have been fixed since I tried it.  I real issue I had was
the cost.  When I last checked it was $1500.  This was for the entire
package to connect to 60+ data sources.  NEWS FLASH - I don't need to
connect to 60+ data sources.  So if my math is right, our 4 ArcGIS licenses
+ a floating license to connect to our free database would run about $8000
(assuming $2000 for a floating).  Not to mention the ~$600 a year for
maintenance.  If they changed it to say $1500 for a company license and $50
for each machine/database combo, we would really think about it.  However
ESRI has a deal with FME software and they are not about to kill that cash
cow.  Right now we do almost all of our GIS work with ArcGIS.  Large,
official datasets are loaded into PostGIS and accessed with the pgarc
extension.  The main one we use is a database of all the wells in the state
(400,000 +).  Using the extension, any user in the office pushes one button
and all the wells in the ArcGIS display are loaded (and projected) to a
local shapefile copy.  This is done in seconds instead of several minutes to
load the entire shapefile.  Thus we don't really need the DIE from ESRI
especially since our biggest use of PostGIS is for internet web mapping with
SVG.

Bruce

  _____