[postgis-users] PostgreSQL/PostGIS vs. Oracle

Gregory S. Williamson gsw at globexplorer.com
Mon Sep 18 15:19:31 PDT 2006

Well, we found that Informix worked while Oracle (about two revs ago, admittedly) didn't; we've since migrated to postGIS and find that speed is about comparable.

Our datasets aren't quite as large as yours though, so YMMV. A lot of performance will depend on the spcificity of the indexes, spatial and otherwise.

Hardware: Opteron, lots of RAM, battery-backed cache and RAIDed disks. Try looking through the postgres performance mail list archives -- there have been a number of recent threads about hardware. RAID10 seems to be getting some preference... I personally advocate against RAID5 for data safety reasons. XEON seems to have some issues with memory swapping and the like -- best to avoid it.

HTH,

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC