[postgis-users] Expanding a geometry

Brian Timoney brian at thetimoneygroup.com
Fri Sep 22 09:28:18 PDT 2006

Nicolas:

Here's a blog entry that talks about the very topic--

http://www.eicher-gis.com/Blog/2006/06/how-to-scale-dataset.html

I noodled with the same issue awhile back and vaguely remember that

a)  For high quality results it's best to apply a transformation to geometries
in a cartesian-type projection (i.e. where the x and y values represent
consistent distances).

b)  That even after I scaled my dataset I had to translate() the geometry so it
shared the same center point as my original geometry.

Again, I could've been doing something very wrong; but I recall these hiccups in
particular.

**When you figure it out, please share with the list your solution with a sample
of the SQL statements you used.

Thanks,

Brian

The Timoney Group