[postgis-users] SRID for analyzing a USA national data set in Meters

mfrumin mfrumin at rpa.org
Mon Apr 2 06:11:55 PDT 2007

I have a data set that includes points all over the United States in lat/lng
(say, SRID = 4326) but I need to do some analysis on these data in real
units, say meters.  So, my task is to select an appropriate SRID that will
work reasonably well for the whole USA to reproject lat/lng into meters.
There are a bazillion SRID's available. Any suggestions?

This analysis doesn't have to be super-precise, so I'm not so concerned with
the limitations of a national projection (as opposed to state/region).

thanks,
Michael