[postgis-users] SRID for analyzing a USA national data set in Meters

Pedro Doria Meunier pdoria at netmadeira.com
Mon Apr 2 08:30:18 PDT 2007

Hey Mike,

The only global system, adopted by 1984, is WGS84 (this has been revised in
2004 and it's valid until 2010).
This, as you well know, is a system whose units are expressed in degrees.
If you wish to work in metres you must use a 'localized' system (projected).
The correct geoid must be used for accurate calculations.

So my advice to you is defining 'work areas' (as in regions) if you really
need to work with metres..

This comes from my notes:
"an inaccurate way for calculating the distance would be:
distance [m] = 6378137.0 [m] * Pi * distance [degree] / 180.0
6378137.0 = earth radius

accurate measurement involves the correct geoid to be used (UTM projection)"

INACURRACY ALARM! The above method is horribly inaccurate...

Depending on your task you can programmatically (as in using PHP or whatever
lang) process your points.
Could you elaborate on the task at hand?

Pedro.