[postgis-users] newbie install problem with GEOS

trobertson at gbif.org trobertson at gbif.org
Tue Apr 3 12:07:50 PDT 2007

Hi,

I am newbie to POSTGIS and to my mac, and banging my head against the desk
trying to get it to install.

I have POSTGRES installed and working  I thought I had POSTGIS working
only to find that when I try and do a CONTAINS() I get the "you need to
build with GEOS" message...

So, I try and follow the destructions, I downloaded PROJ4 and GEOS and in
both do:

su root
./configure
make
make install

then copy the POSTGIS to the POSTGRES/contrib directory.

I change the Makefil.contrib to have

USE_GEOS=1
GEOS_DIR=/usr/local

USE_PROJ=1
PROJ_DIR=/usr/local

and when I run the ./configure in the
/usr/local/src/postgres/postgresql-8.2.3/contrib/postgis-1.2.1 I get

checking for geos-config... no
checking for proj... no

and the Makefile.config gets overridden to have 0's again where I set it
to 1...

Is GEOS installed?  How can I test?  Why is the config getting overriden?

Please help - and be aware that I have very little clue as to what the C
compiler setup is really doing so to be honest I need an idiots guide!

Any help greatly appreciated at this point...

Thanks

Tim