[postgis-users] Postgis performance

Ibrahim Khachab ibrahim at oriented.it
Mon Apr 16 08:51:02 PDT 2007

Hi to you all,

I'm new with geographic data and I'm trying to set a server with
mapserver/posgis.
It is a dual Xeon 2.8Ghz cpus machine with 2Gbyte of Ram.
I have some data in SHP files that I converted to postgis data with
shp2pgsql.
I made some test with some map file and I noticed a strange thing:
The same maps  with the shp file are 10 times faster than those with the
Postgis data.
What can be the problem.
How I may debug about this?
I'm trying to read a lot these days about Postgresql perfoemance but
till now I found nothing that could change this situation.

Thanks

Ibrahim