[postgis-users] Performance compared to large shapefiles?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Wed Apr 25 22:45:27 PDT 2007

It depends a lot on your use case. If you're rendering thousands of
features, that's just going to take a lot of time, shape file or
postgis. You might find that for really large tables the postgis
index is balanced better than the shape quadtree, and that provides
some performance boost. But always, you have to be drawing a
managable subset.

The 10% figure is quite old, and was a single-threaded test on the
old postgis geometries. Some folks have told me that for concurrent
access PostGIS is actually faster than shape files. But frankly, we
are missing any kind of real benchmark at this point. You just have
to try yourself and see.

Paul