[postgis-users] Client encoding error

Guido Lemoine guido.lemoine at jrc.it
Thu Aug 16 04:15:55 PDT 2007

Use iconv on unix/linux to change encoding. If using Windows, install
cygwin first.

GL

lanczos at t-zones.sk wrote:
> What OS are You using? Linux, Windows, Apple ....?
>
> Tomas
>
> Milo van der Linden wrote:
>
>> PostGIS is in UTF-8, the table is in WindowsLatin1. How do I change the
>> encoding? Is it just a matter of editting the tab file and changing the
>> string WindowsLatin1 with UTF-8?
>> Tomas Lanczos schreef:

>>> I had the same problem few days ago (importing shapefiles to GRASS
>>> with postgresql). Change the encoding in the attribute tables to UTF-8
>>> before importing, it helps. It's related to the given encoding of the
>>> PostgreSQL/Postgis database where are You importing Your table.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Tomas

> --

Guido Lemoine
Joint Research Centre, European Commission
Institute for the Protection and Security of the Citizen (IPSC)
Unit: Support to External Security
Via E. Fermi, 1 TP 267 Ispra 21020 (VA), Italy
Tel. +39 0332 786239 (direct line) Fax. +39 0332 785154
WWW: http://ses.jrc.it
Disclaimer:
Views expressed are those of the individual and do not represent
the views of the European Commission