[postgis-users] Calculating bbox/extent for set of polygons: ERROR I don't understand

Josh Livni josh at umbrellaconsulting.com
Sun Aug 19 22:13:57 PDT 2007

I don't know the intricacies of that error, but you have a couple easy
options.  For just the one county, like in your query - ditch the
distinct, eg:
SELECT extent(the_geom) FROM shp_precincts WHERE county_id=72;

For all counties, try pulling the geom data out in different style, eg:
SELECT distinct(county_id), astext(extent(the_geom)) as the_extent FROM
shp_precincts GROUP BY county_id

 -Josh