[postgis-users] How to simplify and complex (i.e. slow) geometry

Martin Davis mbdavis at refractions.net
Tue Aug 21 11:34:45 PDT 2007

Well, don't go by what the documentation says...  8^)  AFAIK (and on
good authority) buffer should work fine for *any* geometry type.  In
particular, it will work fine for a MultiPolygon (even one that's
invalid) - which is what you should have.

The error you're getting is due to the constraint on the table limiting
it to POLYGON geometries, which was generated by the AddGeometryColumn
function.  Probably the simplest thing to do is to simply drop this
constraint.  (You could also change to using MULTIPOLYGON - but
apparently this will then prevent storing POLYGONs, which may or may not
be an issue).

Let me know how it goes...

--
Martin Davis