[postgis-users] Lat/lon bounding box to area?

Steve Benzo steve_benzo at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 2 10:40:36 PST 2007

Hi,

This might be a stupid question, but is there a way using PostGIS that I can take a bounding box (polyline) supplied by a user (they're drawing a box on the map, from which I get the xmin/ymin/etc from), which I'd like to use to get an area from (utlimately acres). My first step will be to get that polyline into PostGIS (struggling, but should be able to figure it out) and then apply a trigger which populates an area field from that. Thanks in advance.

SB