[postgis-users] FOSS4G 2007 Call for Workshops

Guido Lemoine guido.lemoine at jrc.it
Tue Feb 6 00:13:18 PST 2007

Just for your info, there will be a German FOSSGIS conference
on 13-15 March 2007 in Berlin. Abstract deadline Feb 16. May be
an occassion for European FOSS4G folks to stick heads together
for contribs to the September FOSS4G event.

More info at:
http://www.fossgis.de/wiki/index.php/Main_Page (mostly in German).

Btw. I never heard the term Neogeography before (nor Novelgeography),
but I realised we are deep into that...

GL

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> Folks, here's an announcement for the upcoming (in September) FOSS4G
> conference! Paul
>
> ---
>
> The FOSS4G (Free and Open Source Software for Geospatial) conference
> is pleased to announce the Call for Workshops for the 2007 conference,
> being held September 24-27 in beautiful Victoria, British Columbia,
> Canada.
>
> FOSS4G is the premier conference for the open source geospatial
> community, providing a place for developers, users, and people new to
> open source geospatial to get a full-immersion experience in both
> established and leading edge geospatial technologies.
>
> This is your chance to showcase your favorite application, integration
> solution, or other topic. You will use your superior classroom skills
> to lead a group of attendees through your chosen topic in either a
> half-day or ninety minute lab or classroom format. Half-day workshops
> will be delivered on Monday, September 24 (the Workshops day), while
> the ninety minute workshops will run concurrently with the
> presentations during the remainder of the conference.
>
> While we are open to workshops on a wide range of topics, we strongly
> encourage workshop submissions on the following topics:
>
>   * Practical Introduction to ___________
>   * Interoperability
>   * NeoGeography and NovelGeography
>   * Using a Software Stack
>   * 3D Worlds
>
> In the tradition of previous FOSS4G events, we expect that the
> majority of workshops will be "hands on", with participants seated in
> front of computers and able to follow along with the instructor,
> working directly with the software and applications under discussion.
>
> Be prepared to spend considerable effort in creating your workshop.
> Past experience has shown that a high quality workshop requires about
> three days of preparation for each hour of presentation time. As part
> of this preparation you will be expected to develop material for
> attendees to take away with them, such as handouts, a 'workbook',
> CDROM, etc.
>
> In recognition of this effort, workshop presenters will receive a
> reduction in the price of conference registration:
>
>   * free registration for delivering a half-day workshop
>   * half-price registration for delivering a 90-minute workshop
>
> Because of limited space, you may want to consider submitting two
> versions of your topic, one for each length format.
>
> Please visit the workshops page on our website to download the
> submission templates and instructions for sending them in:
>
> http://www.foss4g2007.org/workshops.html
>
> The deadline for workshop submissions is February 28, 2007. Submit
> early, submit often!

Joint Research Centre, European Commission
Institute for the Protection and Security of the Citizen (IPSC)
Unit: Support to External Security
Via E. Fermi, 1 TP 267 Ispra 21020 (VA), Italy
Tel. +39 0332 786239 (direct line) Fax. +39 0332 785154
WWW: http://ses.jrc.it
Disclaimer:
Views expressed are those of the individual and do not represent the
views of the European Commission