[postgis-users] Salesman problem

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Feb 7 10:17:36 PST 2007

Gustavo Ces wrote:

> Hi!
>
>     I´m newbie in PostGis and in this list so, first, hi everybody. Now,
> the question... I´m trying to solve a salesman-route-problem in a road
> network ( from node A to node B). Is there any function or extensión to
> help me with this topological problem? If i want to program it, can i do
> it with PL/pgSQL? Maybe i´m taking the bad way, so i hope you could help
> me.
>
> Gus

I think you are looking for pgdijkstra which solves routing problems.
Traveling salesman is is a different problem and it is oriented to
ordering a list of points to minimize the travel cost to visit all the
points in the route. Traveling salesman does not need the road network
it only needs the cost to get from any node to any other node in the
list you want to optimize. Of course you can get that information from
pgdijkstra. pgdijkstra will find the shortest cost to get from point A
to point B in a network.

-Steve