[postgis-users] Re: USGS NHD data to PostGIS

Randy George rkgeorge at cadmaps.com
Wed Feb 7 15:32:53 PST 2007

Hello Ragi,

            Thanks for the information on shape type 19. I checked some NHD
geodatabase shape fields for a PolygonZ type 15, which has both the M and Z
values.  However, these type 19 shape fields correspond more closely to
PolygonM type 25. There appear to be additional Mmin, Mmax, and Marray[] for
each Polygon record, all of which are 0.0 for the NHD data sets I checked. I
can't really tell if the additional values are measure or elevation.

            Forcing to type 25 PolygonM gives correct 2D <path> geometries
but unfortunately ogr2ogr does not appear to recognize a shape type 19 or
have a way to override to 2D Polygon.

            In addition there appears to be a shape type 9 in NHD
HYDRO_NET_Junctions, which seems to correspond to PointM shape type 21?
Again ogr2ogr seems to skip this geometry.

            Does anyone know where documentation can be found for these
newer ESRI shape types?

Thanks

Randy

  _____