[postgis-users] Reg importing Tiger data into Postgres

Randy George rkgeorge at cadmaps.com
Sun Feb 11 07:05:39 PST 2007

Hi,

            There are several ways to load TIGER.

Ogr2ogr http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_formats.html  has a TIGER to PostGIS
capability. Here is some info on using it:

http://www.bostongis.com/PrinterFriendly.aspx?content_name=ogr_cheatsheet

FME has a translator utility for sale.

I have recently been experimenting with http://geotools.codehaus.org/ which
also has TIGERDataStore capability. This is an api so you would need to do
some Java programming to use it. I can't vouch for its accuracy or
completeness yet.

I believe there are others on the list who have worked with TIGER and may in
fact have it already in a PostGIS format. I have done it for clients here
and there but only on a single state basis.

However, I think your easiest and cheapest (free) approach is Frank
Warmerdam's ogr2ogr utility unless you need to do something custom.

Thanks

randy

  _____