[postgis-users] distance from imported tiger database

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Mon Feb 12 06:29:58 PST 2007

Hi Mark,

What does your location data look like.  Are you for example trying to
compare distance of point locations from a street?

For example the below will give you a listing of all streets that are
within 100 meters of the POINT(-71.10668 42.27081)  - note point is in
long, lat.

The SRID 26986 you'll need to change to the SRID most suitable for your
particular location  which you can look up in the spatial_ref_sys .
Basically you want the measurement to be units you want to measure by
and to be suitable for the region you are looking at.  For this example,
I transformed my geometries to NAD 83 Mass State Plane meters (26986).
Items you will want to replace are in bold.  In general I find it useful
to store the geometry field in the coordinate system you will be using
mostly to minimize on having to write messy transform calls and to
improve on speed.

SELECT fename, fetype, fedirps
FROM masuf
WHERE expand(transform(wkb_geometry, 26986), 100) &&
transform(geometryfromtext('POINT(-71.10668 42.27081)', 4269), 26986)
    AND distance(transform(wkb_geometry, 26986),
transform(geometryfromtext('POINT(-71.10668 42.27081)', 4269), 26986))
<= 100

Hope that helps,
Regina