[postgis-users] problem with proj-4.5.0 ERROR in Package ???

Frank Koormann frank.koormann at intevation.de
Thu Feb 15 07:22:27 PST 2007

Hi Rolf,

* Stüwe Rolf <Rolf.Stuewe at stadt.wuppertal.de> [070215 15:36]:
> thank you for the Tipp, but I recognized an error in die proj-Package,
> I believe.  The file projects.h  should be in the directory
> ...proj-4.5.0/src/include/  as seen in the configure-skript. But in
> the tar-archive it was under ...proj-4.5.0/src/ - I made a directory
> named include, moved the file projects.h  and I could compile postGIS.

The reason why the structure of a source package is not equal to the
structure of distribution package is that it has to serve many different
platforms. The file hierarchy of GNU/Linux (probably various
distibutions), Solaris, *BSD, .. differ by some means. Hence the series

./configure
make
--become root--
make install
--leave root-

is the canonical way.

If you don't have permissions to install in that way or don't want to
overwrite an existing installation you might direct the installation
of proj.4 into another directory:

./configure --prefix=/somewhere/in/the/filesystem/
make
make install

After that you can configure PostGIS using

./configure --with-proj=/somewhere/in/the/filesystem/ ...

Best regards,

        Frank

--
Frank Koormann                                   http://intevation.net