[postgis-users] problem in dynamic SQL with Mapserver

nimalika fernando nimalikaf at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 25 00:06:20 PST 2007

Hi everybody,

  I'm working with some post-disaster management support tool with mapping forcusing on Tsunami Rehabilation.

  I have managed to use postGIS / UMN mapserver for basic stuff like select data from different tables , join them and dislaying information according to predefined selections.

  Now I want to add a very simple serching facility. For an example if user already knows the name of an affected village name,by selecting the name ( from a drop down menu), the area should be highlighed on the map.

  I tried to pass user selection as a variable to postGIS query but I failed.
  code segment is as follows

  DATA "the_geom from (select alldsdivisions.the_geom as the_geom from alldsdivisions where alldsdivisions.dsd_n ='%qstring%')
   AS selectedgs
   USING UNIQUE oid USING SRID=-1"

  qstring is the variable name use in HTML file.It is replaced by user selection dynamically.
  alldsdivisions is the relation name and dsd_n is the column name of village names.

  i get following error message

  prepare_database(): Query error. Error executing POSTGIS DECLARE (the actual query) statement: 'DECLARE mycursor BINARY CURSOR FOR SELECT dsd_n::text,asbinary(force_collection(force_2d(the_geom)),'NDR'),oid::text from (select alldsdivisions.the_geom as the_geom from alldsdivisions where alldsdivisions.dsd_n ='Ambalantota') AS selectedgs WHERE (Ambalantota) and (the_geom && setSRID( 'BOX3D(181659.373889 74242.41425975,303213.047119 165407.66918225)'::BOX3D,-1) )'

Postgresql reports the error as 'ERROR: column "dsd_n" does not exist '

but dsd_n column do exist .

  I can't figureout how to handle this.
  any help is highly appriciated.

  thanking in advance.

  nimalika
  ( from Sri Lanka-island in indian ocean)