[postgis-users] guestion about geometry_columns in PostgreSQL 8.2

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Mon Feb 26 06:05:00 PST 2007

I'm not sure if this function still exists in newer postgis or if I just
inherited it from an older version upgraded.  I couldn't find it listed
in the newer manual aside from in the appendix.

There is a function called probe_geometry_columns() which you can use to
rebuild your geometry_columns table.  You should use it with caution
though since it will not inspect views etc.  sometimes I manually add
entries into geometry_columns to account for my views that have
geometries.

Anyrate what I usually do when I have used it is the following

First backup my original geometry_columns table with
select * into geometry_columns_backup from geometry_columns

Then I delete all the rows in my geometry_columns table with
delete from geometry_columns

Then I run probe_geometry_columns like

SELECT probe_geometry_columns()

----
If you don't delete rows first from geometry_columns,  I believe that
the probe_geometry_colums() will only add records not delete them.

Hope this helps,
Regina