[postgis-users] SRTM data

Bruce Bushby bruce.bushby at rmsaudio.com
Thu Jan 4 09:22:09 PST 2007

Hello

I'm hoping somebody on the list has some SRTM data experience and would
be willing to share a few pointers?

I have downloaded various SRTM datasets (GTOPO30, SRTM30, SRTM1 and
SRTM3). Is it possible to extract coordinate/height data and import into
PostGIS?

I've done a fair amount of research but I can't seem get my head around
DEM, GeoTiff and Binary Rasta. Also, most of the searching suggests that
the data can only be imported as a BLOB, in which case one doesn't need
PostGIS. This further confuses me because Grass can import the data and
generate Topo maps which are all about coordinates/Height.

Any tips and pointers much appreciated.

Cheers
Bruce
United Kingdom.