[postgis-users] Establishing a remote connection to postgis

Steven De Vriendt gisaalter at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 00:36:15 PST 2007

Hi all,

I try to connect to my postgis db on a remote server. I use Quantum GIS
0.7.4 and Udig 1.0.6 for doing this.
When I try to connect I get the following error message, in both of the
applications:

"erroneous pg_hba conf file"

So I look at my pg_hba conf file. I have added this line to the pg_hba conf
file in
order to estabalish connections from outside my LAN.

host    all     127.0.0.1       255.255.255.255 md5

For now it looks like this:
# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD

# IPv4 local connections:
host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5
# IPv6 local connections:
#host    all         all         ::1/128               md5
host    all     127.0.0.1       255.255.255.255 md5

I've tried to find the "tcpip_socket" connection parameter, but I can't seem
find it in the postgresql.conf file, using PostgreSQL 8.1...

Following that I've started the postmaster with the -i flag and -D- flag
pointing
to my data directory.

Can someone help me out ?

Thanks in advance