[postgis-users] More information on the new curve type

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Mon Jan 22 08:29:08 PST 2007

Right now, because we don't do any operations on the curves, just
indexing and input/output, they can be said to "support" any
interpolation type you want... all we store are three control points for
each curve segment, you can interpret what happens between them how you
like.

However, once we start implementing operations, you'll find that the
interpolation type is circular arc, as specified by ISO.  That doesn't
stop you from using the storage/input/output routines and they doing any
operations outside the database in a tool that understands your
interpolation type.

Once you say "curve" everyone starts leaping up and down, asking about
their favourite interpolation type (Spline! No, clothoid! No, circle! No
bezier!), and I am not sure how to satisfy that demand without embarking
on a 10 year development project.  Anyone have any ideas?

Paul

--

   Paul Ramsey
   Refractions Research