[postgis-users] Problem With Geometries and a View

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Wed Jan 31 05:22:21 PST 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 10:00 -0300, Leonardo Mateo wrote:

> Yes, because I'm a newbie in GIS ;). No, really, I've came to think
> why would I store data which I can generate from other fields that I
> already have stored?

Indeed. "Normalise til it hurts, de-normalise until it works".

In fact, you can just store your points directly in the geometry field
and extract your X and Y coordinates as part of your select so that you
only store the coordinates once. This has the advantage that you get the
advantage of spatial indexing, reduced table size, yet client
applications can still access the X and Y fields separately. See
http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2007-January/014487.html for an example of this.

Kind regards,

Mark.