[postgis-users] Problem with overlay

Martin Davis mbdavis at refractions.net
Tue Jul 3 17:06:51 PDT 2007

Can you post the WKT of two linestrings which you think should overlap?

Overlaps has a very narrow definition. For Linestrings, two linestrings
overlap if and only if their intersection is itself a linestring (i.e.
they overlap in a point-set of dimension 1).

I suspect you may be seeing the result of the inevitable coordinate
drift caused by computing a new coordinate along a line segment. In
almost all cases, doing this results in two new line segments which are
NOT coincident with the original.

--
Martin Davis
Senior Technical Architect