[postgis-users] insert interactively asc or text files

pere roca peroc79 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 01:17:32 PDT 2007

  Hi Chetan and Stephen ,
  many thanks for your offer! I must definitely update about scripting (and
never used perl) along with psql, so I think your perl script will help me
in learning too.
  Shortly, what I want is to let users see his point data (species
occurences) in my web application (for that I must update a PostGIS table) ;
when session finishes, data should disappear.
  I was thinking to restrict the data to insert (X,Y and species, genus,
family for example) and to have a pre-constructed table in PostGIS with
these columns. I suppose it should minimize much more the work and time to
insert data and should also make much easier the scripting. Chetan, does
your script work fine and quickly for huge data (about... 30.000 records) ?

  Thanks also Stephen for your collaboration! I will inform you about my
progress [ or problems ;.) ]