[postgis-users] Polygons enclosing points

Rob Tester robtester at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 06:25:12 PDT 2007

Checkout http://www.cgal.org they take the Delaunay triangulation and use it
to generate an alpha shape. The polygon produced from the alpha shape can be
concave or convex, it can also produce a multipolygon or polygons with holes
depending on the input points and the selected alpha value. The alpha shape
is a generalization an isn't perfect, but hard to determine what the optimal
shape from a collection of points would be anyway.

If you want to go that route and use alpha shapes then look at
http://www.postlbs.org they have a simple implementation of the cgal alpha
shape 2d template for postgis.

Rob