[postgis-users] Question about Crosses(geometry, geometry)

Matt Doughty matt.doughty at geograma.com
Fri Jun 8 03:00:14 PDT 2007

Hi List,

I've a question about the CROSSES (geometry, geometry) function. I'd
like to use it to select lines from a table that do not cross, or
intersect, some polygons in a separate table.

The following script lets me select the lines that cross the polygons:

SELECT

            lines.*

FROM

            lines,

            polygons

WHERE

            CROSSES(lines.the_geom, polygons.the_geom)

Now I'd like to place a 'NOT' before the function CROSSES (-> NOT
CROSSES(lines.the_geom, polygons.the_geom), rather naively it seems, as
doing that returns me a table with the same geometry as the original
layer, but with 30 times more rows (an increase of 400 to 12,000
records). In other words, it hasn't 'selected' and lines out of the
layer, merely repeated the table geometry 30 times.

Can anybody explain where I'm going wrong?

Many thanks in advance,

Matt

Matt Doughty

GEOGRAMA S.L.