[postgis-users] Polygon from a set of points

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Tue Jun 12 14:04:19 PDT 2007

Leonardo,

An SRID is mostly useful to say your data is in a specified
coordinate/datum/projection/etc system and therefore since your spatial
reference system is known it can be transformed into another system
using transform etc.  Sometimes the spatial reference system you get
your data in is not the most useful for your analysis, so you transform
to another e.g if you get data in degrees and you do analysis in meters.

Here are a couple of links that may be useful.
http://www.sharpgis.net/2007/05/05/SpatialReferencesCoordinateSystemsPro
jectionsDatumsEllipsoidsConfusing.aspx

These last couple I wrote just because people ask me these questions all
the time.  Let me know if I made any possibly fallacious statements.  I
always feel like a fish out of water so to speak in this area.

http://www.bostongis.com/?content_name=srid#82

http://www.bostongis.com/postgis_geomfromtext.snippet

http://www.bostongis.com/postgis_pointfromtext_linefromtext_etc.snippet

http://www.bostongis.com/?content_name=postgis_tut03#30 (the section
about transforming to another spatial reference system)

Hope that helps,
Regina