[postgis-users] closest points of two polygons

Robert Nuske rnuske at gwdg.de
Wed Jun 13 14:02:26 PDT 2007

Hi All,

is there a way to get the closest points of two polygons?
Basically the points on the polygons, which are used for the distance
calculations.

I couldn't find anything among the postgis-functions (which might be caused by
my greenness) that would return the two closest points. But isn't there a
function in geos/JTS doing just that.

I hope somebody can suggest a nice and easy way to obtain the points on the
boundaries of two polygons with the shortest distance.

Any help is more than welcome.

cheers,
  robert